Saturday, September 11, 2004

Well, It's Saturday Sept. 11. 2004

If you're reading this, take a moment to remember those innocents who perished in N.Y. 3 years ago and the brave men and women who were part of the rescue effort.

I'm stuck behind in GTown for the vac. Frantically working to get my literature review (for my project/thesis) done. It's very lonely here and very quiet. Only zimbo's (Zimbabweans - just over 10% of the university is required to be Zimbabwean), locals and yocals left. Yocals are types like my digsmate and next door neighbour Gareth (Check out his blog: www.welovegareth@blogspot.com) and numerous other friends of mine who have decided that they would actually like to live here on a permanent basis.

We met with our project supervisor on Thursday and we have found out that the next time we can actually do aything to make this thing go is on the 22nd Sept. Incedentally, that's two days AFTER the date when the first complete draft of our thesis has to be handed in. Clearly this is not happening. This should be highly distressing, but I'm actually quite chilled about it. God is so in control.

In case you're wondering why I called this blog "Factory in GTown" and not "How is my research project going?" or "Daily updates of Glen's project" or "Glen's Project diary" its because this blog is actually meant to be representative of my whole life in GTown and at Rhodes. Problem is, this is my whole life at the moment. I will let eveyone know next time I go for a wave in Port Alfred, break into Roger's house there, steal all his food and use his beds to sleep on (Hey bud?) :P Don't think I haven't been planning to either mate. I miss not having someone around to steal hubcaps from!! I may not find any food, but those beds... Or next time I play golf. That's always good for a laugh. B.T.W. The course here ranks among the worst in the entire world (well, at least those I have played on or seen).

OK, well must go.

P.S. If you're interested, go check out www.pumamanzi.com. Then go to the longboard section and scroll down to the pic of the "woody". You will then have a pretty accurate pic of what I want for my next board. The site "look and feel" sucks, but you get the idea.
F.Y.I. I surfed with Ryan Harris (the guy in the top pic.) at South African longboard champs held at New Pier, Durban, 2000. He was in the age group above me (Open men) while I was in the U18 Natal - B side.

I was demolished by the opposition in that one !! Went out in round two. I still suspect that someone put sunscreen an my wax (a dastardly practice used by some to increase their chances of winning or by your own team mates as a means of initiation). Never found out if it was true though. Also, the waves were 2ft and very wind blown and sloppy and had no power. For a big guy like me, that's a recipe for didaster, so it's equally possible that I just sucked. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to competing again in the future when I finally repatriate to Durban (hopefully in 2006).




3 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

OK. For those of you who are thinking: Why at 03:06 am, I will explain. It was actually at 15:06. Ciao, Glen.

September 11, 2004 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Craig V said...

Actually Gareths link is www.welovegareth.blogspot.com !

September 13, 2004 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

How right you are!! Yes, I did notice that now that I come to think of it, but was feeling too lazy to change it. Plus directing ppl to obscure sites is always fun.

September 13, 2004 at 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home